October 15, 2021

Automotive SIG in full swing

October 15, 2021 01:32 AM

The CentOS Automotive SIG launched in August following approval from the CentOS Board in July. This SIG, instigated by Red Hat and open to all, is meant to be a neutral public space for collaboration between third parties interested in open development of software targeted at in-vehicle automotive use cases, and to provide automotive projects and the resulting CentOS variant with build and test infrastructure. The goal of the SIG is to provide an open-source home for RHEL-oriented automotive work, and to attract and encourage open development of automotive software between commercial and non-commercial partners.

To that end, this SIG will have three primary functions:

  • Create open source software related to automotive
  • Incorporate upstream projects related to automotive
  • Build and curate a CentOS variant for Automotive as a proof of concept and reference design for an in-vehicle automotive OS

Over the next few months, the primary goals are to build awareness and participation through outreach and public meetings, to create an initial Contribution Guide, and to generate a working manifest as well as initial builds for the CentOS variant. Work is being done to set up the build & test infrastructure using GitLab. More information on this infrastructure and how to access it will be provided as it matures.

The SIG held its first meeting with 34 attendees from a variety of organizations, including some automotive OEMs and tier-1 suppliers. Meetings are held every 4 weeks online, alternating every 2 weeks with an informal "office hours" discussion call. The meeting times are currently somewhat fluid and meetings move around a bit, as we want to accommodate everyone who can possibly make it. Anyone is welcome to attend, participate, and ask questions, and we encourage everyone to join the mailing list and to visit the #centos-automotive IRC channel on libera.chat.

We hope to see you at the next meeting!


October 13, 2021

October news (Video)

October 13, 2021 02:10 PM

Here's an overview of the news for October.

October 05, 2021

Software Collections SIG quarterly report, October 2021

October 05, 2021 05:19 PM


The SCLo SIG aims to provide Software Collections packages from Red Hat and community for the CentOS ecosystem.

For details about what Software Collections are, visit <https://www.softwarecollections.org>.


No changes in membership since last report. We are always looking for new members.

Health and activity

The SIG tries to follow the upstream releases as closely as possible;
any new releases are usually available within 2 weeks of the upstream release.

With the Software Collections being phased out in favor of modules in CentOS 8
and beyond, it is expected that this SIG will also be gradually becoming
less and less relevant, so expect the activity to gradually vanish.

The SIG activity is currently driven by a single person (jstanek).
That means that even if the released packages are being rebuilt within
a reasonable timeframe, other activities are falling by the wayside.
For example, the <https://www.softwarecollections.org> website has outdated information
about specific collections, and several already released ones are not documented there at all.
Any volunteers from the community are very welcome here.

Kmods SIG quarterly report

October 05, 2021 05:17 PM

Kmods SIG

This report covers work that happened since last report. The previous report can be found here.


Packaging and maintaining kernel modules for CentOS Stream.

Membership Update

No SIG members have been added since last report.

We welcome anybody that’s interested and willing to do work within the scope of the SIG to join and contribute.

New Packages

No packages have been released yet due to missing mechanism to sign kernel modules. Some non-signed packages are already available in testing:

  • exFAT
  • WireGuard
  • SCSI controllers
  • P/SATA controllers
  • Network controllers
  • Rebuilds of kernel modules with Red Hat specific restrictions removed to restore support for deprecated adapters


To enable the main testing repository run the following commands:

  • dnf install centos-kmods-release
  • dnf config-manager --set-disabled centos-kmods
  • dnf config-manager --set-enabled centos-kmods-testing


To enable the testing repository for kernel module rebuilds you need to run in addition:

  • dnf install centos-kmods-release-rebuild
  • dnf config-manager --set-disabled centos-kmods-rebuild
  • dnf config-manager --set-enabled centos-kmods-rebuild-testing


Please report any issues with these packages in the corresponding project on pagure.io or here in case the issue is not related to a particular package.

Health and Activity

The Kmods SIG maintains a healthy development pace.


Regular meetings are scheduled every two weeks (on even weeks) on Monday 1500 UTC in #centos-meeting. Everyone is welcome to join!

You can also get in touch with SIG members at any time in #centos-kmods.

Conference talks

An introductory talk to the Kmods SIG is scheduled for the October 2021 Online Dojo.

Roadmap Decisions

  • Support RHEL: The SIG agreed to also provide packages for RHEL. For now these are built against CentOS Linux 8. In the future it is planned to use RHEL buildroots once available in CBS.

Open Issues

  • Signing kernel modules: This requires collaboration and further discussion with Infra SIG. Especially about how to securely store a SIG specific key that can be used in CBS, but is not accessible by any unauthorized person.
  • Driver Disks: The SIG would like to provide Driver Disks required to install CentOS Stream on unsupported hardware. It is currently unknown how this can be best achieved in CBS.

Issues for the Board

We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.

CentOS Community Newsletter: October 2021

October 05, 2021 03:23 PM

It hardly seems possible that it’s already October. September (and the first few days of October) was very busy in CentOS news.


We had our first in-person event in almost two years, last week in Seattle, and we have two upcoming events.

October CentOS Dojo

Later this week we will be holding the October CentOS Dojo online.

This dojo will feature an AMA (ask me anything) session with the board of directors, and 9 technical sessions on topics ranging from EPEL to Automotive Linux to Modules.

Full details, including the schedule and free registration, are available on the CentOS Wiki.

Open Source Summit

Last week in Seattle, the Linux Foundation held Open Source Summit. CentOS had a presence there at the Red Hat booth. Thanks to all of you who dropped by with questions, or just to chat. We look forward to seeing all of you at more events in the coming months.

All Things Open

We hope you’ll come see us at All Things Open, two weeks from now in Raleigh, North Carolina. We’ll once again be at the Red Hat booth, where we’ll be talking about CentOS Stream and our various CentOS SIGs.

Fedora Linux 35 Release Party

Our friends over in the Fedora project have released Fedora Linux 35 Beta, and will release the GA very soon. They’ve invited us to join them at their release party on November 12th, to celebrate another great release.

Project News

Build for CentOS Stream 9

On September 3rd, Fabian announced that SIGs can now request a 9s tag in order to build against/for CentOS Stream 9. The full details of this are available on the centos-devel mailing list


Pat started a very interesting discussion on centos-devel this week about the possibility of making dnf automatic a default in Stream 9.

Please do read the discussion so far, and chime in if you have an opinion on this important decision.

Hyperscale Live DVDs

Neal has announced new LiveDVD images from the Hyperscale SIG. GNOME and KDE variants are available. Details are available in this thread.


The new sigs.centos.org site was announced a few days ago. This site will be a place where SIGs can publish documentation sourced out of a Git repo. If your SIG wants to take advantage of this new resource, please see the thread on centos-devel for details.

Board of Directors September meeting minutes

The minutes from the September Board of Diretors meeting have been posted to the blog.

I’d like to remind you that Board meetings are now public, and you’re encouraged to attend if you have any interest in how the project is governed. Watch the centos-devel mailing list for the announcement of the next board meeting.

The board meets on the second Wednesday of each month (That’s October 13th this month) at 20:00 UTC.

SIG Reports

CentOS Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are the best place to get involved in the CentOS Project, in the area of your interest. This month we have reports from four SIGs, and also some notes from the CPE (Community Platform Engineering) team.

Get Involved

There’s a number of places where you can get involved around the CentOS community.

CentOS Stream Contributions

Contributing changes to CentOS Stream is the way to influence not only future releases of CentOS Stream itself, but also Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and the various downstream rebuild projects that derive from RHEL. See the contributor’s guide for details on how to get onboarded and contribute your first change.

SIG meetings

Each of our Special Interest Groups has regular meetings where you can find out what’s happening in the SIG, and where you can get involved.

The full meeting schedule is on the CentOS website. Most meetings happen in #centos-meeting on the libera.chat IRC network.


Each month, we send out this newsletter to the centos-newsletter mailing list, as well as various other places. We always need more help with this effort, including gathering important stories, writing the newsletter itself, and providing translations. If you’d like to get involved, please subscribe to the centos-promo mailing list and introduce yourself.

Work on each newsletter begins as soon as the previous one is sent out, so now is the perfect time to get involved.

Test and report

Perhaps the most important part of the CentOS community is all of the users. Installing CentOS Linux or CentOS Stream, using it, and reporting about your experience, is central to making it better for everyone.

Additional detail about where and how to report problems may be found on the ReportBugs page in the wiki.

Stay in Touch

There’s many ways to stay in touch with the CentOS community.

Like many open source projects, the most important place is the various mailing lists. The most important of these are the centos@centos.org list and the centos-devel list, which are focused on user support and developer interactions, respectively.

We have a presence on several social media platforms, including TwitterFacebook, and Reddit.

And the CentOS Forums are another place where there’s an active community, asking and answering questions on a variety of CentOS-related topics.

You can find the discussion forum that’s best suited to your preferred communication style.

As always, thanks for being part of the CentOS Community.

Rich, for the CentOS Project

October 02, 2021

CentOS Hyperscale SIG Quarterly Report for 2021Q3

October 02, 2021 02:07 AM

This report covers work that happened between July 2nd and October 1st. For previous work, see the 2021Q2 report.


The Hyperscale SIG focuses on enabling CentOS Stream deployment on large-scale infrastructures and facilitating collaboration on packages and tooling.

Membership update

Since the last update, the SIG gained three new members (Chris Murphy, Omar Sandoval and Benjamin Kircher).

We welcome anybody that’s interested and willing to do work within the scope of the SIG to join and contribute. See the membership section on the wiki for the current members list and how to join.

Releases and Packages

Unless otherwise specified, packages are available in our main repository, which can be enabled with dnf install centos-hyperscale-release. Please report any issues with these packages on our package-bugs tracker.


In addition to the wiki, we now have a set of user documentation available on sigs.centos.org. This is still a work in progress, and we’d welcome feedback and any contributions.


Our most recent backport of systemd is version 249 based on the Fedora packaging. This release includes improvements and new features across all of the various systemd daemons and tools. Our latest version also backports upstream patches to support additional systemd link file configurations, such as those for for RX/TX coalescing and knobs for NIC features related to hardware acceleration.

Following Fedora’s lead, we’ve also split systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved into separate subpackages. Both are included as optional packages when installing or upgrading systemd.


We have updated our btrfs-progs package to v5.13.1 and fixed a bug in our patch disabling RAID 5/6 in btrfs balance.


We used to ship a non-modular version of the LLVM 12 compiler suite. This has since become part of CentOS Stream 8 proper, so we have retired our build as it is no longer needed.

DNF/RPM stack with CoW support

We have rebased the Copy-on-Write packaging stack in the experimental repository to match the latest updates that landed in CentOS Steam 8 proper.


We now ship a patched version of PackageKit that fixes an issue in which PackageKit could not properly load CentOS repositories because CentOS uses non-standard DNF variables for repository URLs. This issue was reported over a year ago with a fix included, but since resolution had not occurred and we needed it for the Hyperscale spin, we have shipped the fix while we wait for the maintainer to resolve the issue.


We have updated kpatch to 0.9.4, which allowed us to drop a number of patches that now carried upstream. Among other things, this new release includes support for CONFIG_PRINTK_INDEX.


We’re currently using the 5.12 kernel based on our kernel-ark artifacts. Our plan is to rebase onto the same 5.14 version that is currently in CentOS Stream 9 and tracking that going forward.


We intend on supporting aarch64 as an architecture for the SIG. Right now just under half the packages are rebuilt. Our kernel is in progress but notably missing from the aarch64 builds.

Live media

We released a refreshed set of GNOME and KDE Plasma Workstation media on October 1, which includes all the work that happened in the Hyperscale SIG since the last release at the end of July. Information and links to the media are available on the SIG website.

Health and Activity

The SIG continues to maintain a healthy development pace.


The SIG holds regular bi-weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 16:00 UTC. Meetings are logged and the minutes for past meetings are available.

The SIG uses the #centos-hyperscale IRC channel for ad-hoc communication and work coordination, and the centos-devel mailing list for async discussions and announcements. The SIG also holds open monthly video conference sessions to promote collaboration and social interaction.

Conference talks

We’ll be presenting an update on SIG activites at CentOS Dojo, October 2021.

Planned work

The SIG tracks pending work as issues on our Pagure repository. Notable projects currently in flight include:

  • using CBS to build our spin images
  • shipping an updated QEMU package in EPEL
  • integrate btrfs transactional updates as an optional feature
  • setup a continuous build pipeline for the container image on the CentOS CI infrastructure
  • build a set of Hyperscale-enabled Cloud images

Issues for the Board

We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.

September 13, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-09-08

September 13, 2021 08:36 PM


Board members

  • Pat Riehecky
  • Brian Exelbierd
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Jim Perrin
  • Mike McLean
  • Tru Huyhn
  • Rich Bowen (Chair)
  • Thomas Oulevey (Secretary)

Directors Absent

  • Josh Boyer
  • Johnny Hughes
  • Karanbir Singh


  • Lance Albertson
  • Alain Reguera Delgado
  • Neal Gompa
  • Amy Marrich
  • Brian Stinson
  • Karsten Wade

**Quorum at 22:05**


Previous minutes

On-going discussion

  • Artwork SIG - Status and discussion

    • https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/issue/1
    • Related to [#04 Definitive answer requested regarding logo design] issue
    • Rich: Consult with legal: Must we get it registered, or can we just start using the new design ?
      • ACTION: To be investigated
    • Pat: Comments for logo consistency with arrows, it should be added as  a comment on the issue.
    • Extra branding is appreciated by the audience
    • Move forward with the proposal, no objection.
    • Thanks to Alain Reguera Delgado for all the work around the logo.
  • Operate First introduction

    • https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/63
    • Slides for discussion
      1. Summary and requests
      2. Introduction of Operate First, concept and community
      3. Look at the Operate First community cloud
      4. Q&A, requests
    • Jim: What involvement from the board is expected and why ?
    • Karsten: It could help SIG and Stream development
    • Jim: It could be run by the Infra SIG but need to clarify if Stream will be put forward by this RH initiative.
    • Jim: Request should come from elsewhere with a clear commitement.
    • Neal: SIG vs layered product
    • Pat: How / Who?



No issue have been discussed this month, specific updates will be amended to the issue itself if needed.

Community Architect updates


  • none

**Adjourned at 22h55**

September 07, 2021

CentOS Community Newsletter: September 2021

September 07, 2021 01:32 PM

Dear CentOS community,

It’s been another interesting and productive month in the CentOS project.

If you’d like to contribute your own stories or articles to this newsletter, please join us on the centos-promo mailing list.

Project News

Public Board of Directors Meetings

As part of our onging effort to increase transparency and participation at CentOS, the August board of directors meeting was completely public. You can watch the proceedings on YouTube, and see the [meeting minutes on the CentOS blog.(https://blog.centos.org/2021/08/minutes-for-centos-board-of-directors-for-2021-08-11/)

We know that board meetings aren’t exactly exciting, and we’re not expecting to have a lot of people watch the whole thing, but transparancy is at the heart of Open Source, and so we are working towards opening every part of the process which has not been thus far.

After the board meeting, we held an open town hall on IRC, where various community members brought their questions and comments. The transcript of this meeting is available in the archive.

Both of these features (i.e., the public meeting, and the post-meeting IRC town hall) are intended to continue for future board meetings.

If you’re interested in attending the September board meetings, please see the centos-devel mailing list, where the invitation for September board meetings has been sent. If there’s something you would like to have discussed by the board, that thread is also the right venue for that.

CPE to staff EPEL work

We are pleased to announce that Red Hat is establishing a small team directly responsible for participating in EPEL activities. Their job isn’t to displace the EPEL community, but rather to support it full-time. We expect many beneficial effects, among those better EPEL readiness for a RHEL major release. The EPEL team will be part of the wider Community Platform Engineering group, or CPE for short.

As a reminder, CPE is the Red Hat team combining IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS.

Right now we are staffing up the team and expect to see us begin this work from October 2021. Keep an eye on the EPEL mailing list and the associated tracker as we begin this exciting journey with the EPEL community.

CentOS Stream 9

Also on worth reading centos-devel this month is a thread in which Brian sketched out an estimated timeline for CentOS Stream 9 progress.

In the Press

A few weeks ago Steven Dickens wrote this article about the project’s ongoing efforts to improve transparency, and include the community more in decision making.


We have a number of events coming up in the next couple of months, including our first in-person events since early 2020.

CentOS Dojo, October 7, 8

The Call for Presentations for the online CentOS Dojo in October has just closed, and we expect to post the schedule later today. This event will include SIG reports, a Board of Directors AMA (Ask Me Anything) and other technical content. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at that event.

During the second day of the event, we will be hosting a Bug Smash event, where you can learn how to contribute changes to CentOS Stream. This will include tooling setup, and discusison of what kinds of changes are likely to be accepted.

Open Source Summit, Seattle, September 27-30

Our first return to an in-person event will be Open Source Summit in Seattle, which will be held September 27-30th. CentOS will be in the Red Hat booth at that event, and we hope to see you there!

All Things Open, Raleigh, October 17-19

We also expect to be present at All Things Open, which will be held October 17-19 in Raleigh, North Carolina

SIG Reports

Special Interest Groups are where you can get involved providing additional packages, or other extra value, on top of the base CentOS platform. The following SIGs are reporting this month:

Artwork SIG


The CentOS Artwork SIG exists to produce the CentOS Project visual

See https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Artwork

Membership Update

We are always looking for new members.


The Artwork SIG is wrapping up the ticket about CentOS Project Logo
redesign. Final slides have been designed and will be presented to
CentOS Board next month.

The Artwork SIG releases one brand new artistic motif with each major
release of CentOS distribution. For CentOS Stream 9 distribution, the
next major release of CentOS Project, we have designed the following
artistic motif:


The Artwork SIG, in coordination with CentOS-Infra, is redesigning the
CentOS Websites and have put online the following resources so you can
test it:

The artistic motif, the websites design, and everything the Artwork SIG
does is open for contributions. If you want to participate, please send
an email to centos-devel@centos.org showing your interests.

Health and Activity

The Artwork SIG is not as healthy as other SIGs could be. The lack of
SIG members in it during an extended period of time is a red light
difficult to avoid. To workaround this, artwork propositions are
eventually shared in social media looking for public opinion and so get
more context for the results we produce. We need more folks to push
harder on Artwork SIG purpose.

The Artwork SIG is in doubt about the boundaries related to CentOS
branding and would like to have a clear answer to the following

  • What design process does Red Hat expect the CentOS community to
    follow regarding CentOS brand constant reviewing? How much freedom does
    CentOS community has to agree or disagree with changes coming from the
    brand owner as well as the other way around.

  • The CentOS brand is owned by Red Hat, but the process by which the
    image is produced/enhanced, could it be considered an open source
    project on its own, with open and clean directives to follow. So, to
    make visible what we can and cannot do when we talk about enhancing the
    CentOS brand?

Issues for the Board

The following issue will be brought to the Board of Directors in the September board meeting: https://git.centos.org/centos/Artwork/issue/1

OpsTools SIG

Jun 01, 2021 - Aug 31, 2021


Provide tools and documentation, recommendation and best practices for operators of large infrastructure.

Membership update

Sadly, we did not attract new volunteers to contribute to the SIGs purposes, but at the same time, we didn’t loose any.


After initial euphoria setting up the SIG and getting to work, we can now observe a kind of settlement. Collectd was upgraded to 5.12 (in testing).
The next goal is to build both on CentOS Stream and also to look at what’s coming for CentOS 9.

Issues for the board

Nothing to report.

Virtualization SIG

Advanced Virtualization

  • CentOS Virt SIG has been updated with latest 8.4.0 advanced virtualization packages (qemu 5.2.0, libvirt 7.0)
  • CentOS Stream 8 SIG follows 8.5.0 pre-release packages, with most recent builds done last week (qemu6.0, libvirt 7.5)


September 02, 2021

CPE to staff EPEL work

September 02, 2021 01:13 PM

We are pleased to announce that Red Hat is establishing a small team directly responsible for participating in EPEL activities. Their job isn't to displace the EPEL community, but rather to support it full-time. We expect many beneficial effects, among those better EPEL readiness for a RHEL major release. The EPEL team will be part of the wider Community Platform Engineering group, or CPE for short.

As a reminder, CPE is the Red Hat team combining IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS.

Right now we are staffing up the team and expect to see us begin this work from October 2021. Keep an eye on the EPEL mailing list and the associated tracker as we begin this exciting journey with the EPEL community.

August 18, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-08-11

August 18, 2021 09:45 AM

(Video of the meeting is available on YouTube.)


Board members

  • Pat Riehecky
  • Brian Exelbierd
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Johnny Hughes
  • Jim Perrin
  • Mike McLean
  • Rich Bowen (Chair)
  • Thomas Oulevey (Secretary)

Directors Absent

  • Josh Boyer
  • Tru Huyhn
  • Karanbir Singh


  • Neal Gompa
  • Kris Knigga
  • Jack Aboutboul
  • Lance Albertson
  • Jonathan Billings
  • Brian Stinson
  • Carl George
  • Glenn Cooper
  • Peter Georg
  • Jefro Osier-Mixon

**Quorum at 22:05**


Previous minutes

On-going discussion

  • Quick review of pending issues with Red Hat around the announcement of C8 EoL
    • Blog post published: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/expanding-red-hat-enterprise-linux-choices-research-and-academia
      Discussion can be now closed.



Issues to be closed (ACTION close all of them if no objection)

  • none

New issues

  • #06 Red Hat majority seat contradiction in governance
    * Required Red Hat employees to have 50 % of the seats
    * Motion to remove this requirement
    * Approved unanimously
    * ACTION: update the website with this change
  • #45 CentOS variant artifacts (ISOs, disk images, etc.) branding
    * Draft messaging at https://hackmd.io/pPixYTZ8QmyJcjoJq_V9dA
    * Thomas: important to handle the lifecycle, changes committed to the document
    * Neal: discussed how Fedora is handling Spin
    * ACTION: Draft message and post it to centos-devel for community comment.
  • #44 Remove former Directors from various accounts and permissions
    * Davide : Document different accesses
    * Johnny : Check with infrastructure team if needed to remove specific accesses.
    * Davide : Add a note on the onboarding document
    * https://git.centos.org/centos/board/blob/master/f/directors/onboarding
  • #27 Providing Official AMIs in Amazon CN regions.
    * Sponsored by David Duncan
    * ACTION: sync with David and infrastructure team.
  • #22 Draft all recent governance changes or ideas for Board discussion
    * Draft has been posted at https://centos.org/about/governance/board/
    * Announced: https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2021-July/077172.html
    * No comment from the community
    * Amy Marrich has volunteered to help with ongoing edits
    * Related: #06
  • #03 Getting official CentOS images into Azure
    * Take down cloud images that violate our trademark (requested to Legal team).
    * It will be tracked in a specific issue to avoid to add to this ticket.
    * Issues #56, #61, #62 track individual images
    * Add official images
    * Jack proposed to help with this task (investigate Azure tools such as https://github.com/microsoft/lisa)
    * ACTION: Move forward with the requirement / track progress
  • #01 Shift Board to be more transparent in support of becoming a contributor-focused open source project
    * Some progress has been made! (This meeting!)
    * Are there other processes that we can make more transparent? Community can raise specific items on this issue.

Issues on hold

  • #04 Definitive answer requested regarding logo design
    * Johnny: talk to the designer and is ready to resume discussion around the logo.
    * Johnny: Not a critical issue if the logo is kept relevant and reminds the existing one.
    * Neal: Current branding is problematic to decline the logo for different use-cases. He Hopes to have more assets and a more polished brand.
    * Pat: Better and free fonts would make sense for an opensource project.
    * A Proposal should be available prior to the next board meeting
    * ACTION: Resume work on the branding

Community Architect updates

  • Dojo CFP still open (4 submissions so far) - https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/October2021
  • Newsletter: https://blog.centos.org/2021/08/centos-community-newsletter-august-2021/
  • Presence expected at Open Source Summit (Sept 27-29, Seattle) and All Things Open (October 18-20)


  • Mike : Work on CentOS branded protection masks for All Things Open and Open Source Summit
    • ACTION: No objection, Rich will follow-up

**Adjourned at 22:43**

August 10, 2021

CentOS Community Newsletter, August 2021

August 10, 2021 01:50 PM

Dear CentOS enthusiast, thanks for joining us for another month's community newsletter.

Top news

There’s a lot going on on the CentOS community lately. Here are some of the highlights.

CentOS Linux 8 EOL

You are likely already aware that CentOS Linux 8 will reach end of life (EOL) on December 31, 2021. However, we still encounter people that are hearing this for the first time, so expect to see this announcement at the top of the rest of the newsletters this year.

We have also written a short document which covers some of the details as to what, exactly, happens when the EOL date is reached, and we encourage you to read that, and check back again over the coming months for further detail.

Automotive SIG

In the July Board of Directors meeting, the new Automotive SIG (Special Interest Group) was approved, and has begun their work.

You can read more about the mission of this SIG in the wiki, and find out how you can get involved, if this is an area that interests you.

Meet the new directors

In June two new directors were selected, and they became an official part of the Board in the July meeting.

A few weeks ago, they each took some time to chat with me, and talk about what they hope to accomplish on the Board in the coming year(s):

Public board meetings

In our ongoing effort to make CentOS governance more open and transparent, Board of Director meetings will be public, startin with the August meeting. If you are interested in attending the meeting, please watch the centos-devel mailing list for the meeting invite, and instructions for getting on the call.

Video news summaries

In June, I tried out doing a video edition of the newsletter, and got some positive feedback, so I’m going to try to make this a regular thing.

Subscribe to our channel on YouTube to catch the August update some time in the next few days!


October 2021 Online Dojo

We will be holding our third online Dojo of 2021 October 7th and 8th (assuming we get enough submissions).

Details are in the wiki.

The call for presentations (CFP) is now open.

We are looking for presentations about CentOS Linux, CentOS Stream, CentOS SIG work, any work in the CentOS community, or any project you’re running on top of CentOS distributions.

Presentations will be delivered live, using the Hopin online conference platform. Presentations will be 40 minutes, including any Q&A time you want to have.

The CFP will close at 00:01 on September 6th.

Back on the road

In-person conferences are slowly starting to reappear on the calendar, and here’s a few where we expect to have a presence:

None of these are guaranteed, yet, but we’ll be updating you in the coming months as our plans become more solid. (We hope!)

SIG reports

SIGs are communities building additional things on top of the various CentOS variants. These SIGs report quarterly on their progress. This month we have the following reports.

Cloud SIG

The Cloud SIG has provided their quarterly report on the CentOS Blog.

Storage SIG

Package updates:

  • glusterfs updates to glusterfs-8.5 and glusterfs-9.3.
  • ceph updates to ceph-14.2.22, ceph-15.2.13, and ceph-16.2.5
    • ceph-15.2.14 likely by the time you read this.
  • nfs-ganesha and libntirpc to libntirpc-3.5 and nfs-ganesha-3.5.

CentOS Stream 8:

  • glusterfs, ceph, and nfs-ganesha+libntirpc are all now built for CentOS Stream 8 in addition to CentOS 8.
  • I see that cephadm has been built for 8 Stream too.

CentOS Stream 9:

  • Waiting for build targets and the rest of the pieces necessary to start building glusterfs, ceph, and nfs-ganesha for CentOS Stream 9. See issue 313. The packages are all buildable (i.e. I have actually built them) on my CentOS Stream 9 box.


  • cephadm subpackage was unbundled from ceph to support ceph’s upstream CI facility. Francesco Pantano (fmount) builds the cephadm package.
    • The OpenStack upstream CI is going to promote Ceph pacific v16.2.5 with the related cephadm version, resulting in being feature parity with ceph-ansible, which is no longer distributed for the Pacific branch
  • Some of us have learned, somewhat belatedly, that it is now possible to do builds from the lookaside. glusterfs, ceph, libntirpc, and nfs-ganesha packages have all been respun using the lookaside.

Messaging SIG


Provide a unique source for messaging related packages. These packages are consumed e.g by the Cloud SIG or the OpsTools SIG.

Membership Update

No change during the past quarter.


The next goal for the Messagging SIG is to enable and build packages based on CentOS Stream 8 (and 9, once that becomes a thing).

Issues for the Board

There are no issues to bring to the board’s attention.

Press mentions

The press has been talking about us a lot in the past month! Here’s just a sampling of the articles that we’ve seen about the CentOS Project recently.

Get Swag

If you’re looking for CentOS swag, we recommend our friends at HelloTux who have a variety of CentOS logo wear.

Until next time ...

Thanks for reading. Until next month's edition, please follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or our mailing lists, to see what's happening!

July 27, 2021

Cloud SIG quarterly report

July 27, 2021 01:58 PM


Packaging and maintaining different FOSS based Private cloud infrastructure applications that one can install and run natively on CentOS.


Releases and Packages

Preparation for CentOS Stream 9

The Cloud SIG's goal is to release the next OpenStack coordinated release Xena, planned for Oct 2021, on CentOS Stream 9. To achieve this goal, some preparations tasks are being carried out in the RDO Project:

  • Both the dependencies and OpenStack packages have been built for CentOS Stream 9 using the published composes.
  • Those packages are being validated to find potential issues early, report them, and propose fixes when possible.
  • Coordination with upstream projects that require relevant changes to support the new CentOS Stream.

While the results looks promising, there are a number of challenges that may put our plans at risk.

  • Uncertainty about CS9 GA plans and availability on the Community Build System. Any help on that from the CentOS team would be a great help.
  • Coordination with other SIGs. CloudSIG depends on the builds from other SIGs, as Storage, Infra, Messaging, OpTools and NFV.

Continuos Integration

Cloud SIG is migrating all their jobs from a shared jenkins instance (ci.centos.org) to a new private instance running in the CentOS CI OpenShift environment.

Meetings and communication

The periodic meeting has been rescheduled from biweekly to monthly on the first Thursday at 1500 UTC in #centos-meeting.
After the recent changes in freenode irc network, and given the special relationship of RDO with both CentOS as part of the Cloud SIG and OpenStack project, it has been decided that #rdo channel will be available both in Libera Chat (as defined by CentOS) and OFTC (OpenStack choice) networks, although most activity is taking place in OFTC.

July 21, 2021

Announce: Online Dojo, October 7th and 8th

July 21, 2021 06:45 PM

We will be holding another online CentOS Dojo on October 7th and 8th.

The call for presentations is now open.

More details about the event are in the wiki, which will be updated with additional information as we have it.

July 20, 2021

CentOS Board of Directors Minutes, 2021-07-14

July 20, 2021 02:16 AM

Convened 22:05

In attendance:


  • Pat Riehecky
  • Thomas Oulevey (Secretary)
  • Mike McLean
  • Josh Boyer
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Jim Perrin
  • Tru Huynh
  • Rich Bowen (Chair)


  • Matthias Runge
  • Jeffrey Osier-Mixon
  • Ian McLeod
  • Brian Stinson
  • Alfredo Moralejo Alonso

Directors Absent:

  • Johnny Hughes
  • Karanbir Singh
  • Brian Exelbierd (Sent regrets and notes on agenda items)


Previous Minutes

June minutes are published on the blog.

Automotive SIG Creation

The Board is asked to consider a proposal for the creation of an Automotive Special Interest Group. The proposal is in the wiki.

  • Motion to approve SIG.
  • Director questions/comments
    • Davide : Documentation on how to contribute is important
    • Josh : How will the infrastructure be used ?
      • Ian : CI can be used, Open Hardware to test
    • Several directors asked about relationship to AGL
      • Jeffrey : Discussion regarding AGL in process, yocto LF in use, community architect at Red Hat
  • Motion approved

Discussion: CL8 EOL messaging

Messaging around CentOS 8 End Of Life, as discussed on the centos-devel list

Bex (absent) provided this update via email :

  1. No one should be automatically migrated between distributions. Even in the case of CentOS Stream being a "successor" distribution to CentOS Linux. This should be a deliberate action on the part of the user. Alerting users to the status of their current software and providing options is, generally, a good thing.
  2. The end of builds for CentOS Linux 8 is still 31 December 2021. If there is a slip in the build of CentOS Linux 8.5 code then that activity may continue after 31 December, within reason. There will be no updates published beyond 31 December 2021, other than, if required, the CentOS Linux 8.5 release as noted above. It is important that the expectations do not get changed. The slip allowance is here so that engineers are not asked to do super-human work to meet the 31 December deadline.
  3. The final builds of CentOS Linux 8 should be stored and managed per the Project's decisions. In general, so long as that code is not modified after its final update as stated in #2 above, it can be actively mirrored, vaulted, or otherwise handled as the project deems appropriate. Again, reasonability applies.

Josh indicates that we will ship the zero-day updates to 8.5, and he will take this discussion back to Red Hat to ensure that this happens.

Proposed: January 31, 2022 to retire/archive content (Approved by consensus).

In the event of a serious bug in this time window, we should immediately retire/archive the content. Tie this to a specific CVSS v3 score (9+)? (Approved by consensus)

Davide : Motd update ? dnf plugin ? print a message if the mirror is missing ? This was discussed and there are concerns about whether this would interfer with automated workflows that parse dnf output. Historical precedent was offered for my auto-updating motd may be poorly received.

Thomas : advertise C8 -> CS8 procedure

Jim : point people to the FAQ

Action: Rich will draft EOL messaging, run by board, and then socialize on centos-devel before promoting further.

Academic RHEL offering?

Bex update:

Red Hat is continuing to work on updates to our published Academic program, however the program, as described, has been very interesting to parties that have contacted us and we haven't seen a reason to make wholesale changes in response to the CentOS Linux 8 decision. If the Board has additional information to share, please do so. We expect blog posts from Red Hat to highlight this program this month, these should feature a change to help smaller institutions have an easier time consuming the program. Those details are being finalized, but the core of the program remains intact.

Expect more info from RH in the coming weeks

Open ticket review

[19] GDPR process needs

[Rich] AIUI, CPE/Infrastructure have a GDPR process, and are willing/able to handle all of our GDPR needs. That said, we haven’t had any legitimate GDPR requests in more than a year. Closed ticket.

[11] Trademark guidelines review/audit - Feedback from Bex/Karsten needed before discussing it.

[Rich] I took the liberty to close this ticket, since we do not appear to be addressing a specific issue/concern, but, rather, just wanted some kind of review of the existing policy. I would be glad to re-open if someone has an actual expressed concern that we need to address.

[45] CentOS variant artifacts (ISOs, disk images, etc.) branding

I feel like we made a decision on this in our last meeting, but somehow it was not captured in the ticket. (Note: Confirmed: We minuted in June that we had decided, but not what the decision was) Would appreciate someone updating the ticket with that decision, if possible, or we can re-discuss.

Naming for variant artifacts / experimental live image from Hyperscale SIG

Davide : no confusion / spins

Define what is a Spin and list them ? guidelines

Action: Thomas and Davide to come back with a proposal.

[01] Shift Board to be more transparent

Aspirational, ongoing issue

Next step in this process is to open our board meetings to a wider audience. We discussed doing this after July. Are we still in agreement to do that? If so, what is “wider audience”?

IDEA : Send to centos-devel the invitation, rather than posting a URL publicly, possibly resulting in meeting disruptions.

Several directors offered corporate Zoom accounts and will look into that. Rich to follow up in a week or two.

Thomas : We need to set certain expectations of our attendees - Following agenda, no overtime, moderation

Pat: remind folks to open tickets to get topics on our list, rathern than expecting that they can merely speak up.

Rich and Davide : hackmd for agenda.

Matthias : Explain how to engage with the community

Public video recording, though not streamed, to offer the possibility to edit before it goes public.

Action - Rich to draft messaging about this to send to list.

[03] Getting official CentOS images into Azure + AWS Cloud images status

No action

[13] Get an official CentOS image in to WSL

No action

[22] Draft all recent governance changes or ideas for Board discussion

[Rich] I will move forward with socializing the new governance documentation in the coming weeks, minus items that are still being debated internally at Red Hat, so that we can finally make progress on this.

[27] Providing Official AMIs in Amazon CN regions

No action

Community Manager report

Will be starting director interviews tomorrow, starting with new directors, for the CentOS blog/YouTube.

It’s time to start planning a September dojo - expect to see proposed dates and a CFP in the coming 2 weeks.

Rich will be out of office, and completely offline, July 29th through August 9th

Other Business

SIG reports

Post-meeting IRC meeting:

Last month we discussed doing a post-meeting IRC office hours to answer questions. We did not take action on this.

Action: Rich will find the Doodle poll we did on this for preffered times, and announce this as part of the broader invitation to upcoming board meetings.

Adjourned 22:55

July 06, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-06-09

July 06, 2021 03:17 PM

Quorum and started at :09


  • Board
    • Johnny
    • Pat
    • Mike
    • Rich 
    • Jim
    • bex
    • Thomas (secretary)
    • Tru
    • KB
  • Guests
    • Davide Cavalca
    • Matthias Runge
    • Aoife
    • Brian
    • Rich
    • Amy Marrich

Started 22:09

  • Quick review of pending issues with Red Hat around the announcement
    • Status of additional RHEL programs for Academic ? (bex)
    • Bex: no formal announcement, redesign existing program, scientific consortia special template, overall of the academic program in progress.

Red Hat continues to work on ensuring that Academic and Research institutions have easy access to RHEL.  The existing academic program is being emphasized and as it is discussed with potential users examined to ensure it continues to meet the needs of this changing environment.  Of particular interest is how this program can be effectively used with consortia who may have members at different levels of OS adoption but where a common platform is required for shared activities.

  • Review “Kmods” SIG proposal
    • ACTION read the proposal at https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Kmods
    • Need official stance from RH on module licences (need/want zfs, nvidia,..)
      • Rich: Is it blocking ? Bex: module per module analysis ?
      • Signing for kernel stuff to be checked with Infra SIG
    • Rich: Motion to approve SIG ? approved

kmods SIG was created with unanimous approval.

  • Board elections
    • Josh and Davide are the 2 new directors.
    • Welcome !
      • Adding to ML
    • Thank you to the community for your nominations. The board acknowledges the community health that is indicated by the community nominating people from the community, and we hope that this trend continues.

Discussed issue #45 regarding naming of SIG/spin artifacts


  • Community Architect corner

Adjourned :42

CentOS Community Newsletter, July 2021

July 06, 2021 01:15 AM

Dear CentOS Enthusiasts,

Here's what's happening in our community over the past month.

CentOS Stream 9 is open for contribution: Container images and a note about new composes

We've been working on producing more artifacts for CentOS Stream 9, those can be found at the composes location: https://composes.stream.centos.org

You'll notice a few directories under there, we recommend folks who have been consuming CentOS Stream 9 to use the composes under the 'production/' directory. Composes in the production directory are what we'll eventually use to publish to the mirrors

Here's a short description of each compose type:

- Test composes: run ad-hoc against content that may not have made it through testing/RHEL gating yet

- Development composes: run regularly (goal of 1 per day) against gated content

- Production composes: run regularly (goal of 1 per day) against gated content and are candidates for promoting to the mirrors

Container images are regularly produced from the Development composes, you can find those at quay.io/centos/centos:stream9-development

We are also refining our quickstart contribution guide: https://docs.centos.org/en-US/stream-contrib/quickstart/

The CentOS Stream 9 repos have been open for a few months now, but this captures the process if you'd like to participate and make change. File a
bugzilla, and happy patching!

What you can expect for the rest of the quarter:

- Cloud images are coming in the next month or so
- Signed packages are coming in the next month or so
- Publishing to the mirrors will happen later this quarter

If you have any questions, direct these to Brian Stinson, or the centos-devel mailing list.

New Board Members

We're very pleased to announce that the CentOS Board of Directors welcomed two new members in our June board meeting, and they will join us for the first time in the July meeting.

The new directors are Josh Boyer and Davide Cavalca, both of whom have been around the CentOS community for a long time.

Josh is a Distinguished Engineer at Red Hat, and works on the team that produces RHEL. Davide is a Production Engineer at Facebook, and has spoken many times at various CentOS Dojos around the world about his work with CentOS at Facebook.

We hope you'll join us in welcoming them, and we look forward to their participation in the governance of our project in the coming years.

Over the coming week or two, I hope to have some interviews with them, so you can get a deeper look into why they've agreed to be on the board, and what their vision is for the coming years.

CVEs in CentOS Stream

Over the past few months, we've seen some confusion in the community regarding how CVEs are handled in CentOS Stream. Red Hat engineer Carl George wrote a detailed post to the centos-devel mailing list last week, using libxml2 as an example, to talk about how they actually work.

You can read that post in the mailing list archive if you're not subscribed to the list.

The short story is that if a CVE is not part of a security embargo, it goes into CentOS Stream with regular updates, but if it is, it'll hit RHEL first. (That's not Red Hat or CentOS policy, but, rather, the policy of the CVE registry itself, so that's the behavior you'll see on any open source project.) But Carl goes into it in much more detail, so you'll want to read the full write-up.

IRC Move

We wanted to update you on the changes to our IRC presence. A few weeks ago, there were some changes to the management of the Freenode IRC network that resulted in a large number of the operator staff leaving and forming a new IRC network, Libera.chat. We decided, at that time, to follow them, in order to stick with the staff and policies that we have been familiar with for the past more than ten years.

Further developments since then, including the removal of many popular channels, including all of the CentOS channels, have demonstrated that we made the right call, and we appreciate John's ("Bahhumbug") leadership in this decision.

All of the former channels that were on freenode are now on Libera.chat, and with the help of the operator staff, we have restored the channel ops, permissions and roles.

A huge thank you goes out to Dave "bigpresh" Precious and all of the Libera.chat staff for their professionalism and assistance during this disruptive transition.

We encourage you to join us on #centos on the irc.Libera.chat network. Our other channels, along with instructions for joining and registering your IRC name, are on the CentOS website.

SIG Reports

This month, we hear from two of our SIGs - both of which are relatively new. The kmods SIG published their first quarterly report to the CentOS Blog, as did the Hyperscale SIG. The kmods SIG was approved during the June Board of Directors meeting.

We're particularly excited about the Hyperscale SIG's work on producing live DVD images. If you're interested in the wider availability of live DVD images for CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream, we encourage you to talk to the people on the Hyperscale SIG.

July 01, 2021

Kmods SIG quarterly report

July 01, 2021 04:39 PM


Packaging and maintaining kernel modules for CentOS Stream.

Membership Update

The SIG elected Peter Georg and Jonathan Billings as co-chairs.

No SIG members have been added since the SIG has been approved (June 9th).

New Packages

No packages have been released yet.

Health and Activity

The Kmods SIG has been approved recently. So far it has mainly been busy with bootup activities and establishing packaging guidelines.


Regular meetings are scheduled every two weeks (on even weeks) on Monday 1500 UTC in #centos-meeting. Everyone is welcome to join!

Roadmap Decisions

  • License restrictions: The SIG agreed to provide GPLv2 kernel modules only for now. Review by Red Hat Legal is required for each specific non-GPLv2 kernel module before it can be packaged.
  • Kernel module packaging: The SIG agreed to work on kmod packages only for now. Other approaches, e.g. dkms and akmods, might be added at a later time.

Open Issues

  • Package structure for kernel modules: The SIG is currently looking at how to structure packages for kernel modules. Anyone familiar with packaging kernel modules is very much welcome to contribute to this discussion.
  • Signing kernel modules: This requires collaboration and further discussion with Infra SIG. Especially about how to securely store a SIG specific key that can be used in CBS, but is not accessible by any unauthorized person.

Issues for the Board

We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.

June 30, 2021

CentOS Hyperscale SIG Quarterly Report for 2021Q2

June 30, 2021 04:02 PM

This report covers work that happened between April 2nd and June 30th. For previous work, see the 2021Q1 report.


The Hyperscale SIG focuses on enabling CentOS Stream deployment on large-scale infrastructures and facilitating collaboration on packages and tooling.

Membership update

Since the last update, the SIG gained one new member (Jim Heald).

We welcome anybody that’s interested and willing to do work within the scope of the SIG to join and contribute. See the membership section on the wiki for the current members list and how to join.

Releases and Packages

Unless otherwise specified, packages are available in our main repository, which can be enabled with dnf install centos-hyperscale-release. Please report any issues with these packages on our package-bugs tracker.


Our most recent backport of systemd is version 248 based on the Fedora packaging. This release includes a host of new features including system extension images and systemd-oomd.

systemd-oomd was declared stable in systemd 248 and was adopted in Fedora 34 as the default userspace out-of-memory killer. It monitors memory pressure thresholds and kills processes at the cgroup level. The systemd-oomd-defaults package, which provides the policy used by Fedora, is also backported to our repository.

In addition to release builds, we’re also producing daily systemd builds via the CentOS CI infrastructure. These builds track the upstream git head and can be useful to test the latest changes and features, while also helping spot potential build issues ahead of time.

Finally, we’ve published a staging tree and our build and release scripts to make future development work more accessible to contributors.


A non-modular version of the LLVM 12 compiler suite is now shipped in Hyperscale. This is meant as a stopgap, and will be removed once a modular version of LLVM 12 becomes available in CentOS Stream proper.

Because this is a set of non-modular packages overriding a module, it is being delivered in a new repository to be used as a modularity hotfix repository. This repository can be enabled with dnf install centos-release-hyperscale-hotfixes.

DNF/RPM stack with CoW support

An updated packaging stack (rpm, dnf, libdnf, librepo) is now available in the experimental repository. These packages include several improvements and bugfixes to support the ongoing Copy-on-Write work. The experimental repo can be enabled with dnf install centos-release-hyperscale-experimental.


We have a 5.12.4 release of the Linux kernel currently in our experimental repository. This kernel has btrfs and Kernel Live Patching enabled. We’ve taken steps to ensure our nascent kernel process is compatible with kernel-ark to enable smoother updates and CI.


We ship a modified version of kpatch 0.9.3 that includes a few additional backports from upstream. Our packaging of kpatch also includes the kpatch-build tool, which can be used to convert kernel patches to be then applied onto a system that supports Kernel Live Patching.

Storage stack and Installer

We have rebuilt a number of components to restore Btrfs support:

  • libblockdev
  • python-blivet
  • udisks2

and built a backport of btrfs-progs. Additionally, we have branched and built the Anaconda installer based on version with support for Btrfs restored and a number of backports from Anaconda 34 to enable building spins based on Hyperscale content. Our version of the installer also includes the anaconda-live package for supporting installation from live media.

Container image

A minimal container image based on the Hyperscale SIG repos and packages is now available on Quay.io and can be used via Docker or Podman:

podman run -a stdin,stdout,stderr -t quay.io/centoshyperscale/centos:stream8

This container image is built from scratch, and in the future we plan to leverage the CentOS CI infrastructure to automate the build process.

Live media

An experimental CentOS Hyperscale Workstation Live DVD image is now available. This image is currently based on the GNOME desktop shipped in CentOS Stream 8 and is combined with the packages we’ve shipped in the Hyperscale SIG, notably the live installer and storage stack software. A KDE Plasma variant is forthcoming.

The live media is built using livecd-creator from the LiveCD Tools provided by the livecd-tools package in EPEL. We published the kickstarts as well.

Issues with this image can be reported on our spin-bugs tracker.


We ship an updated backport of libvirt 7.1.0. Due to CBS being unable to build modules, this is shipped as a non-modular package in the hotfixes repository mentioned earlier.


We have announced the availability of a mock-centos-sig-configs project to hold mock configurations for CentOS SIGs. The goal is to make it easier to build packages against a given SIG when doing local testing and development. The project currently contains configs for the Hyperscale SIG, but other SIGs are welcome to contribute their configs as well.

Other packages

There are several other backports we’re shipping within the SIG:

We’re also made available a modified version of util-linux 2.32.1 that includes support for setpriv --reset-env and for the CAP_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE capability.

Health and Activity

The SIG continues to maintain a healthy development pace.


The SIG holds regular bi-weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 16:00 UTC. Meetings are logged and the minutes for past meetings are available.

The SIG uses the #centos-hyperscale IRC channel for ad-hoc communication and work coordination, and the centos-devel mailing list for async discussions and announcements. As of April, the SIG also holds open monthly video conference sessions to promote collaboration and social interaction.

Conference talks

An update on the SIG was presented at CentOS Dojo, May 2021 (recording). SIG activities were also covered as part of LISA21 (recording), and another talk has also been submitted for DevConf.us 2021.

As of June, Neal Gompa has been streaming ad-hoc SIG-related work sessions on his Twitch channel. To this end, we have created a dedicated CentOSHyperscale channel that we plan to use going forward to promote and collate SIG related content.

Planned work

The SIG tracks pending work as issues on our Pagure repository. Notable projects currently in flight include:

  • productionize the Live media image
  • integrate btrfs transactional updates as an optional feature
  • setup a continuous build pipeline for the container image on the CentOS CI infrastructure
  • integrate our kernel development process with kernel-ark
  • build a set of Hyperscale-enabled Cloud images
  • enable fsverity support in rpm

Issues for the Board

We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.

June 25, 2021

CentOS IRC migration complete

June 25, 2021 07:56 PM

This is a followup to our earlier post regarding CentOS' move to the Libera IRC network.

Thanks primarily to the efforts of John "Bahhumbug" and our other IRC ops, the move has been completed, and all channels have been moved from Freenode to irc.Libera.chat, complete with the topics, bots, access lists, and supporting documentation.

Note also that we have a list of channels in the wiki, which includes channels for specific topics, such as #centos (our general/main channel), #centos-devel for developer and other technical questions, #centos-stream for CentOS Stream specific questions, and several others.

You will need to re-register your user account on Libera, as these were not migrated over.

We look forward to seeing you on Libera.chat!


June 09, 2021

CentOS Board welcomes new directors

June 09, 2021 08:56 PM

The CentOS Board of Directors is delighted to welcome two new directors - Davide Cavalca and Josh Boyer - to the Board.

Please join us in welcoming them, and thanking them for their willingness to dedicate some of their time to the endeavor of steering the CentOS Project.

Once again, we thank outgoing directors Karsten Wade and Carl Trieloff for their years of service.

June 08, 2021

CentOS Community Newsletter, June 2021

June 08, 2021 01:58 AM

(Yes, we're a little late this month. Sorry about that.)

Dear CentOS Enthusiasts,

Here's what's happening around the CentOS community lately.

CentOS Linux 8.4 Released

We are pleased to announce the general availability of the latest version of CentOS Linux 8. Effective immediately, this is the current release for CentOS Linux 8 and is tagged as 2105, derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Source Code. More details are available at https://blog.centos.org/2021/06/centos-linux-8-2105-released/

CentOS Stream Q&A at LISA '21

At the recent USENIX/LISA conference, Mike McGrath and Gunnar Hellekson hosted a Q&A session for discussion of what's happening in CentOS Stream, and other related topics around the CentOS community. The video is available on YouTube, and we welcome your further questions, which you can bring to any of our mailing lists or other public forums.

Topics discussed include proposed special interest groups (SIGs), the downstream rebuild projects, the various Free RHEL offerings, and many other things.

IRC Moving To Libera.Chat

Due to recent changes in the management of the Freenode IRC network, the CentOS project has decided to move our IRC presence off of Freenode over to the new Libera.chat network. The CentOS community continues to maintain a number of IRC channels for simple text-based discussion of a variety of topics around the project.

There are many IRC clients available, or, if you prefer, you can connect with the web client which Libera provides.

CPE Is Hiring

The Community Platform Engineering group, or CPE for short, is the Red Hat team combining IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS. Our goal is to keep core servers and services running and maintained, build releases, and other strategic tasks that need more dedicated time than volunteers can give.

CPE is hiring new talent to come work full time on Fedora and CentOS. You can read more details in their blog post, (two of the positions are already filled) or apply directly here:


Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are probably the most exciting part of the CentOS project, where people come together to do interesting things on top of the CentOS platform. There's been a lot of SIG activity in recent months, with new SIGs being proposed and approved.

SIG Process Review

Over the last few weeks we have been collecting feedback from SIG participants about the existing SIG process, and ways that we can improve it and make it more transparent and accessible to a wider audience.

The notes from that exercise are in THIS blog post, and will be the basis of some policy rewriting that the Community Architect will be doing over the coming months. If you're interested in being involved in that process, please watch the centos-devel mailing list for more information once that process starts.

Virtualization SIG

- upstream released 4.4.6 based on CentOS Stream 8
- oVirt within VIrt SIG released builds to CentOS Stream repos
- oVirt Spring 2021 survey results available: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RcSzRQ2YmB2U3MNlWk0YqTVFdGYIdguk46K2A-DZEvc/viewanalytics showing good adoption of CentOS Stream and growing interest in new distributions based on RHEL 8.

OpsTools SIG


Provide tools and documentation, recommendation and best practices for operators of large infrastructure.

Membership update

Sadly, we did not attract new volunteers to contribute to the SIGs purposes, but at the same time, we didn't loose any.


After initial euphoria setting up the SIG and getting to work, we can now observe a kind of settlement. We are still working on the upgrade of collectd to version 5.12. At the same time, and a bit related, collectd upstream has a CI issue we can not fix at the moment. Thus, there was a mirror organisation created and work is ongoing to establish a working CI there.

There is also an interest in investigating in loki as tool to allow multi-tenant log aggregation.

Following the lead of the CentOS project itself, we have switched our IRC channel over to libera.chat.

Issues for the board

Nothing to report.


Proposed: Kmods SIG

There's a proposal for a kmods SIG that will come before the Board of Directors next month. The proposal is now in the wiki, and available for your comments.

The kmods SIG will focus on providing kernel modules currently not available in CentOS Stream. If you have comments about the proposal, or want to volunteer to be involved, please bring your comments to the thread on the centos-devel mailing list.

New: CentOS Stream Feature Request SIG

In the May Board meeting, the CentOS Stream Feature Request SIG was approved, and they had their first meeting to discuss how things are going to work. The SIG exists to serve as a gate for feature requests that are first developed in CentOS Stream from contributors who wish to request these features to be included in future RHEL releases.

If you are interested in being involved in this SIG, or if you have changes that you are interested in getting in to either CentOS Stream or future RHEL releases, plan to attend the next meeting, which will be at 16:00 UTC on Tuesdays.

Rebuild Community News

Our friends in the Alma project recently announced their AlmaLinux OS 8.4 release.

And you can read the news from the Rocky Linux project HERE.

Get Swag

Want CentOS swag? We've got shirts at HelloTux, and caps and shirts at the Red Hat Cool Stuff Store.

June 03, 2021

CentOS Linux 8 (2105) Released

June 03, 2021 08:52 PM

Release for CentOS Linux 8 (2105)

We are pleased to announce the general availability of the latest 
version of CentOS Linux 8. Effectively immediately, this is the 
current release for CentOS Linux 8 and is tagged as 2105, derived 
from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Source Code.

As always, read through the Release Notes at:
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS8.2105  - these notes
contain important information about the release and details about some
of the content inside the release from the CentOS QA team. These notes
are updated constantly to include issues and incorporate feedback from

Updates, Sources, and DebugInfos

Updates released since the upstream release are all posted, across all
architectures. We strongly recommend every user apply all updates,
including the content released today, on your existing CentOS Linux 8
machine by just running 'dnf update'.

As with all CentOS Linux 8 components, this release was built from
sources hosted at git.centos.org. Sources will be available from
vault.centos.org in their own dedicated directories to match the
corresponding binary RPMs.

Since there is far less traffic to the CentOS source RPMs compared with
the binary RPMs, we are not putting this content on the main mirror
network. If users wish to mirror this content they can do so using the
reposync command available in the yum/dnf-utils package. All CentOS
source RPMs are signed with the same key used to sign their binary
counterparts. Developers and end users looking at inspecting and
contributing patches to the CentOS Linux distro will find the
code hosted at git.centos.org far simpler to work against. Details on
how to best consume those are documented along with a quick start at:

Debuginfo packages have been signed and pushed. Yum configs
shipped in the new release file will have all the context required for
debuginfo to be available on every CentOS Linux install.

This release supersedes all previously released content for CentOS
Linux 8, and therefore we highly encourage all users to upgrade their
machines. Information on different upgrade strategies and how to
handle stale content is included in the Release Notes.

Note that older content, obsoleted by newer versions of the same
applications are trim'd off from repos like extras/ and centosplus/


We produced the following installer images for CentOS Linux 8

# CentOS-8.4.2105-aarch64-boot.iso: 677838848 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-aarch64-boot.iso) = 106d9ce13076441c52dc38c95e9977a83f28a4c1ce88baa10412c1e3cc9b2a2b

# CentOS-8.4.2105-aarch64-dvd1.iso: 7325042688 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-aarch64-dvd1.iso) = 6654112602beec7f6b5c134f28cf6b77aedc05b2a7ece2656dacf477f77c81df

# CentOS-8.4.2105-ppc64le-boot.iso: 722780160 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-ppc64le-boot.iso) = 4a83e12f56334132c3040491e5894e01dfe5373793e73f532c859b958aeeb900

# CentOS-8.4.2105-ppc64le-dvd1.iso: 8484990976 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-ppc64le-dvd1.iso) = 9cfca292a59a45bdb1737019a6ac0383e0a674a415e7c0634262d66884a47d01

# CentOS-8.4.2105-x86_64-boot.iso: 758120448 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-x86_64-boot.iso) = c79921e24d472144d8f36a0d5f409b12bd016d9d7d022fd703563973ca9c375c

# CentOS-8.4.2105-x86_64-dvd1.iso: 9928966144 bytes
SHA256 (CentOS-8.4.2105-x86_64-dvd1.iso) = 0394ecfa994db75efc1413207d2e5ac67af4f6685b3b896e2837c682221fd6b2

Information for the torrent files and sums are available at

Additional Images

Vagrant and Generic Cloud images are available at:


Amazon Machine Images for Amazon Web Services are published by ID into a
number of regions. A table of AMI IDs can be found here:


Getting Help

The CentOS ecosystem is sustained by community driven help and
guidance. The best place to start for new users is at

We are also on social media, you can find the project:
on Twitter at  :http://twitter.com/CentOS
on Facebook at :https://www.facebook.com/groups/centosproject/
on LinkedIn at :https://www.linkedin.com/groups/22405

And you will find the core team and a majority of the contributors on
irc, on irc.Libera.chat in #centos ; talking about the finer points of
distribution engineering and platform enablement.


This release was made possible due to the hard work of many people,
foremost on that list are the Red Hat Engineers for producing a great
distribution and the CentOS QA team, without them CentOS Linux would
look very different. Many of the team went further and beyond
expectations to bring this release to you, and I would like to thank
everyone for their help.

We are also looking for people to get involved with the QA process in
CentOS, if you would like to join this please introduce yourself on
the centos-devel list

Finally, please join me in thanking the donors who all make this
possible for us.

Enjoy the fresh new release!

Johnny Hughes

May 21, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-05-12

May 21, 2021 03:31 PM

Quorum and started at :05

Directors in attendance were:

  • Jim Perrin
  • Tru Huynh
  • Pat Riehecky
  • Mike McLean
  • Brian Exelbierd (Red Hat Liaison)
  • Thomas Oulevey (Secretary)

Others in attendance:

  • Rich Bowen (Community Manager, Chair)
  • Amy Marrich
  • Alfredo Moralejo
  • Josh Boyer
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Paul Isaac’s

Topic:  CentOS Stream Feature Request SIG approval

  • The SIG was approved. Closing issue [#33].

Topic: Departure of Board members and Board nominations

  • Cleaning up accesses from old board members. Tracking progress in [#44].
  • 6 nominations received. Nomination process is still open. Board is happy to keep the nomination process open for a few more weeks.
  • Candidates will be contacted in advance before names are published. Interview with the board will follow.

Proposal: Monthly meeting with the community to discuss board meeting outcome

  • Monthly meeting, scheduled for the week after a board meeting, where board members can discuss the meeting with the community
  • Approved, Rich will check the best format (IRC, other ?) and propose a timeslot.

Reviewed issues :

Adjournment at :38

SIG experience feedback

May 21, 2021 03:21 PM

Thank you to everyone who responded to my call for feedback on the SIG process. A few people responded on-list. More people responded off-list. I’ve summarized common complaints, and in a few cases provided comments verbatim - especially when they already went to a public list.

Please see the centos-devel mailing list for further discussion of what happens next.

The following areas were identified by one or more people as pain points in the SIG process.

Purpose of SIGs

Several people said that we do a poor job of communicating what SIGs are for, what should be a SIG, whether something should be a SIG or part of EPEL, and, in general, what the value of a SIG is.

When SIGs were introduced, they were meant to provide an incubator for projects in the CentOS space and also to provide infra/space to give projects a chance to CI test within CentOS, i.e "how does your project work on CentOS?" Has that focus been dropped? If not, would it be a good idea to reinforce the message?

We need to make it clear that Red Hat still has an interest in CentOS. That message would also be valuable for [Red Hat employees]. CentOS is an important place to put Red Hat’s “upstream first” message into action, but this often gets ignored.

Proposal process

Almost everyone said that the proposal process was vague and opaque.

It is unclear what the board is looking for in a proposal. While there is a template - https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/ProposalTemplate - examples of good proposals, and what kind of specific things the board will look for, would make this process easier.

Access to the wiki to post the initial proposal is a bit of a chicken-and-egg - that is, without a SIG, who has authority to edit a wiki page for the SIG?

The deliberation/discussion of the proposal should happen on-list, not hidden/secret in board meetings. This will also give other potential projects insight into what they should be thinking about in their proposals.


Several people said that onboarding was confusing and undocumented, and seemed to assume you already know what you’re supposed to do.

Note: Several people specifically called out Fabian Arrotin as being extremely helpful in this setup process, with the caveat that he may not scale if we start getting more SIGs onboarding.

The “what’s next” after a SIG has been approved is very unclear. Once approved, what is the process for getting resources set up?

In the past, the SIG onboarding was often gated on one person, and getting their attention was difficult. This should be better with the new Infra sig.

One of the biggest hurdles is the repo setup (deciding on the cbs/koji setup, naming, setting up repositories for mirrors, etc). If you have never touched koji before, this is going to be tough for you. We need much better onboarding documentation for beginners, along with recommended best practices.

If you’re not a Red Hat “insider,” there’s a good chance that your SIG proposal will be ignored, or at least not given priority. The onboarding for [several SIGs] too more than a year - not because it was controversial, but because nobody prioritized it.

Ongoing communication

A number of respondents commented from the contributor side, about the lack of information/communication from SIGs.

The SIG wiki page says that quarterly reporting is required, but the majority of SIGs do not report, and there is no consequence for failing to report.

It is very difficult to find out from the SIGs themselves what opportunities there are for involvement. One respondent replied “I'd like to be more deeply involved in the [name] SIG. It's always a surprise to me how much I push to be a part of the group and how little opportunity there is.”  SIGs need to be much more proactive in what volunteer opportunities there are.

Some SIGs have weekly meetings, some monthly, and some never meet. This is very frustrating to people who want to get involved in the SIGs, but don’t know where to start.

Having an easier, documented way to contact a SIG with questions or offers of help is needed. Right now, we have out-of-date wiki pages with inaccurate lists of SIG members, and no way to contact them even if it was accurate.

SIG wiki pages must be updated with current information. They should also have a standard format, so that basic required information is always available.

Developer Experience

Several developers complained that they were just expected to know what to do, and not provided much guidance or advice as to how to proceed.

Clearer documentation (or pointers to documentation elsewhere) about package building, and how to set up a CI environment.

It would help if every SIG had the same buildroot setup, so that you know what to expect, and moving from one SIG to another was easier. This will increase cross-SIG engagement.

Developer experience on git.centos.org and CBS. Notably:

- the lack of a working PR workflow: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/228 and  https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/4533

- the way the lookaside works: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/259

- hard to discover clone URLs: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/245

- support for modularity in CBS: https://pagure.io/centos-infra/issue/294

The PR workflow in particular is problematic -- right now we rely on SIG members pushing directly to the repos, which makes code review difficult. It's also a blocker for external contributions (as, though one can technically put up a PR, there is no way to actually merge it).

I would love to have something closer to the workflow in Fedora. specifically:

- allow SIG members to review and merge PRs onto their branch

- kick off scratch builds on PRs to get signal

We need a way for  SIGs to publish structured documentation on docs.centos.org, akin to the "quick docs" model that Fedora uses.

Missing -devel subpackages (I know this has been discussed a lot and fix is in progress).

I'd like to build, tag and push release rpms (as centos-release-openstack). In CentOS7 we could build and tag by ourselves (although it needed infra action to push). In CentOS8 we need to rely on CentOS infra to build and publish them in extras repos.


May 19, 2021

CentOS IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat

May 19, 2021 04:00 PM

TL;DR: #centos and #centos-* are moving to libera.chat

Over the past few days, there has been some upheaval on the Frenode IRC network, resulting in a number of the staff members quitting and starting a new IRC network. I don't wish to explain all the details here, but you can read more at https://kline.sh which also links to other sources.

The various ops have discussed the situation, and we intend to migrate all of the various #centos-* channels from Freenode over to libera.chat over the coming days.

This will take time, since libera is still spinning up, and some servers are moving from one network to the other.

As libera is still in the early stages of setup, you may have significantly more timeouts/disconnects, netsplits and other issues for now. Until the new network is fully stable, we'll all continue to be present in the Freenode channels.

Please bring further questions to the IRC channels, which you can join on irc.libera.chat.

May 05, 2021

CPE is hiring

May 05, 2021 12:17 PM

The Community Platform Engineering group, or CPE for short, is the Red Hat team combining IT and release engineering from Fedora and CentOS. Our goal is to keep core servers and services running and maintained, build releases, and other strategic tasks that need more dedicated time than volunteers can give.

See our wiki page here for more information: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/cpe/

We are hiring new talent to come work full time on Fedora and CentOS. The following positions are now open:

  • LATAM-based Associate / Engineer level, perfect for someone new to the industry or someone early in their career. We are looking for an infrastructure focused hire.

  • Associate / Engineer level in India. This is more a software engineering / DevOps focused role, perfect for graduates or people early in their career.

  • EMEA-based Associate Manager. We are looking for a people focused Manager to join our team to help with the people management workload. This is perfect for aspiring managers looking to move into their first management role or for anybody early in their people management career.

Please note that due to a constraint in how the jobs system works, a single country is nominated for the advertisement. Please kindly ignore that, two of the roles are available in the geographical regions outlined above.

We are looking forward to meeting you and hopefully working with you soon!

May 04, 2021

CentOS Community Newsletter, May 2021 (#2105)

May 04, 2021 01:07 AM

Hello, friends,

It's been another busy month in the CentOS Project, so we'll get straight to the news:

CentOS Stream News

Last week, Brian Stinson announced some updates on the progress towards CentOS Stream 9 on the centos-devel mailing list.

This included the availability of Stream 9 packages on Gitlab, and a koji instance where you can watch package build activity.

And on Thursday we announced that the CentOS Stream 9 compose infrastructure is available at https://composes.stream.centos.org/ if you want to try out very early builds of CentOS Stream 9.

If you're interested in contributing to CentOS Stream, you should start by registering for a Gitlab account.  We're in the process of updating the contributor guide, and that should be posted soon. Follow the centos-devel mailing list, and @CentOS on Twitter, to be the first to find out the next updates.

CentOS Dojo, May 13-14

The schedule for the upcoming CentOS Dojo is now posted. We'll be featuring two days of technical presentations around the CentOS project and community, including an "Ask me anything" session with the board of directors.

Other sessions include:

Thursday, May 13

  • New authentication platform for CentOS and SIGs
  •  What's new in FreeIPA 4.9
  •  Contributing to the CentOS Stream Kernel
  •  CentOS Stream on Desktop or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love LTS
  • Hyperscale SIG update

Friday, May 14th

  • Board AMA
  • Keeping track of CentOS infrastructure deployments with Ansible and ARA
  • Thinking About Binary Compatibility and CentOS Stream
  • CentOS Stream CI: current state and future plans
  • Hands-on building an AMI pipeline using CentOS Stream 8 and cloud-init

Complete schedule and abstracts are available on the event site. The event will be online, and you will need to register (Free!) on the event website to attend. See you there!

@CentOSProject is now @CentOS

For the past few years, there have been two separate Twitter accounts for CentOS project news - @CentOS and @CentOSProject - and this has led to some confusion. We're pleased to announce that we've consolidated at @CentOS. If you were already following @CentOSProject, you've been automatically moved over to the @CentOS account. The @CentOSProject account will remain as a placeholder just pointing over to the official account.

Meanwhile, if you were following @CentOS to hear from Karanbir Singh, our long-time project lead, that account has been converted to @KaranOrg, where you can follow KB's technical musings and other thoughts around his work and life.

Board nominations open

As you may have seen in the April board meeting minutes, two directors have decided not to run for the upcoming board term. Both of these directors - Karsten and Carl - have served on the board for 8 years, and we have appreciated their service and dedication to the project.

That leaves two seats to be filled in the upcoming term. As per our governance documents, the board selects replacement directors. But the community is asked for nominations for these seats. If you're thinking of someone you think would be a good board member, or if you'd like to nominate yourself, please have a look at the requirements and responsibilities of a director, to see if this is something you (or the proposed candidate) would be willing to commit to. Then, submit your nomination via this Google Form. Thanks!

We're excited at the prospect of bringing new members, with new enthusiasm, to the board, even as we say a fond farewell to long-serving directors, and we look forward to your nominations.

Code of Conduct

We have been working with the Fedora project to draft a new code of conduct, and this was announced a few weeks ago. We expect to implement our version of it shortly after Fedora publishes theirs. We intend to take their final version and make necessary edits (ie, replacing 'Fedora' with 'CentOS' and other related changes) and are therefore waiting until they are done with all proposed edits. We welcome your comments on the centos-devel mailing list over the coming weeks as we prepare to make this change.

Red Hat Summit

Last week we were at Red Hat Summit, Red Hat's annual convention. CentOS had a steady stream of visitors in the CentOS/Fedora booth - thank you to all of you who came and talked with us.

There were a couple of sessions specifically about CentOS Stream - two "Ask the expert" sessions where attendees could ask their burning questions around CentOS Stream. These were very similar sessions, presented twice to make them convenient for people in different time zones. These were recorded, and you can watch them now, with free registration on the Summit platform.

CentOS Stream: Building an innovative future for enterprise Linux

If you have further questions about CentOS Stream, we encourage you to bring them to the centos-devel mailing list, or any of our various social media presences.

SIG reports

CentOS Special Interest Groups are smaller efforts around particular topics or technologies, to produce content on top of the base CentOS operating system. This month we have reports from a few of our SIGs.

Messaging SIG


Provide a unique source for messaging related packages. These packages are consumed e.g by the Cloud SIG or the OpsTools SIG.

Membership Update

We had talks with the RabbitMQ maintainers to get RabbitMQ packages included and updated.


Other than that, the nature of this SIG is to provide ... for other SIGs. The churn is not as big as in other SIGs.

Storage SIG

Repository Status and Updates

GlusterFS 9 was released; the glusterfs-9.1 bug fix update is available.

Ceph Pacific/16 was released; the ceph-16.2.1 bug fix update is available (c8 and c8s).

Bug fix updates to NFS-Ganesha (including libntirpc), Ceph Octopus/15, Ceph Nautilus/14 (c7 and c8), and Gluster 8 are available.

Ceph Pacific, GlusterFS 8 and GlusterFS 9, and NFS-Ganesha 3 (including libntirpc) packages are now built for CentOS 8 Stream. The associated release packages for those will land in CentOS 8 Stream soon.

Group Status and Actions from meeting

The storage sig meeting is moved to #centos-meeting2

Ceph Pacific is now available and can be consumed by other projects:

The OpenStack TripleO CI now consumes cephadm Pacific for both released and pending content -

Links and other general informations

Meetings agenda https://hackmd.io/Epc35JIESaeotoGzwu5R5w


April 29, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-04-14

April 29, 2021 01:39 PM

Quorum and started at :05

Directors in attendance were:

  • Karanbir Singh (Chair)
  • Johnny Hughes
  • Jim Perrin
  • Tru Huynh
  • Karsten Wade
  • Pat Riehecky
  • Mike McLean
  • Brian Exelbierd (Red Hat Liaison)

Others in attendance:

  • Rich Bowen (Community Manager, stand-in Secretary)
  • Amy Marrich
  • Alfredo Moralejo
  • Matthias Runge
  • Josh Boyer
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Paul Isaac’s
  • Aoife Moloney
  • Brian Stinson

A welcome was given to guest Josh Boyer, representing RHEL engineering interests.

Topic: Board reappointment, and nomination of new directors

  • Open discussion should take place on public lists, with clear expectations that the vote happens in the board meeting, but that discussion, and nominations, are welcome from the community
  • Discussion of staggering (6 month offset for half of the directors) vs 12 months?
  • Two directors have indicated a desire to step down - Karsten Wade and Carl Trieloff - and need to be replaced. Their term as Directors will end effective April 30th, 2021.
  • Consideration: Maintaining the tension between “new blood” and continuity of leadership.
  • As we take this to the community, we need to be abundantly clear *what* we are asking of them, but early transparent discussion is preferred where possible.
  • Action: Discussion of how we address it if/when someone steps down. Interim board members to maintain above the minimum number of seats? Rich to write up proposals for solutions, to present to the board.
  • Board sentiment is not in favor of an “interim” member class, further differentiating between different directors.
  • Action: Proposal for “emergency election” for replacing a board member who steps down out of cadence. (Rich to add to above proposals.)

Discussion of development packages not provided in CentOS Stream: Red Hat is keenly aware of the desire to make buildroot packages available in the CentOS Stream project. Progress has been made on plans to enable this in some manner in CentOS Stream without requiring changes to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The team is currently working to resolve some technical issues.

Discussion of CentOS Stream SIG proposal. https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issue/33 and https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/StreamFeatureRequest General support, but will take this to the mailing list and commit to timely response to this request.

Adjournment at :00

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-03-10

April 29, 2021 01:39 PM

On 2021-03-10 the CentOS Board of Directors met to discuss ongoing business.

A  proposal to discuss the re-appointment of Directors has been presented by Karsten Wade. The document will be reviewed and it will be then proposed for approval during the next meeting. (More info on the governance updates in issues #22 and #24).

Rich Bowen, annouced that a new online Dojo is planned on May 13th and 14th 2021. All the details can be found at :


No other issue has been discussed this month, and updates will be amended to tickets if necessary.

April 27, 2021

Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-02-10

April 27, 2021 12:08 PM

On 2021-02-10 the CentOS Board of Directors met to discuss ongoing business.

The board welcomed the Hyper Scale SIG Chair (Davide Cavalca) and new Cloud Interim SIG Chair (Amy Marrich).

A proposal to give to all SIG members a @centoproject.org email address has been approved. The new email aliases will be enabled when the new authentication system is deployed in April.

A discussion about the need for a CentOS Stream Kernel SIG around common community interests took place. Some challenges are still being discussed (secure boot, signing, kmods distribution, inter-SIG collaboration, integration of existing external projects). A communication will be sent to the centos-devel mailing list when all requirements are analysed and common ground identified.

Rich Bowen mentioned that additional Dojos will be organised during the year as it is a great way to get community feedback and improve involvement of new contributors.

The code of conduct work is on-going and the board would like to make that process completely transparent, and get help from the community when the initial draft is available

To conclude, as mentioned last month,  the SIG status review has been finalized and updates/recommendations sent to all active SIG.

Powered by Planet!
Last updated: October 19, 2021 09:30 AM